Windows Automatic Update fails to install updates!
Sometimes Automatic Update in Windows behaves in a weird manner. It downloads all the updates but fails to install them. The installation fails with error code 0x8007F0EA. An example screen shot is shown below:
This issue can be fixed by reinstalling the Windows Update Agent, by following the steps mentioned below:
- Download wuredist.cab file from here.
- Open wuredist.cab using any of the file archival tools, and extract the file wuredist.xml present in it.
- Open wuredist.xml in a text editor. The contents of the file will be something like this:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<architecture name="x86" clientVersion="7.0.6000.381" downloadUrl="http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe"/>
<architecture name="x64" clientVersion="7.0.6000.381" downloadUrl="http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe"/>
<architecture name="ia64" clientVersion="7.0.6000.381" downloadUrl="http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-ia64.exe"/>
<MUAuthCab RevisionId="6" DownloadURL="http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/MUAuth.cab"/>
- As you might have guessed, this xml file contains download links to Windows Update Agent installer for different architecture like x86 (32 bit PCs), x64 (64 bit) and ia64 (Intel Itanium 64 bit). Copy the download link suitable to your system architecture and download the installer. For example, if it is a 32 bit PC, then corresponding Windows Update Agent installer will be WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe.
- Open Command Prompt and navigate (using "cd" command) to the folder where Windows Update Agent installer is present. Finally, run the following command to reinstall the Windows Update Agent:
Reboot the PC and try running Automatic Updates again.